Wednesday, August 1, 2007

7/26/2007 - Montserrat (Mary Jo

Today we decided to visit Montserrat. (Montserrat comes from Mont Serrat, or Monte Serrada, which means saw-toothed peaks.) Deb Wills gave great instructions on visiting the monastery via train/aerial way, instead of using a tour. So, I decided to go that route.

We had kind of a late morning, but finally everyone was up, and we walked to the metro. It was quite easy to get to Montserrat, and I learned that there are two types of round-trip tickets you can get. One includes the train and the aerial tram, and the other includes the train and the tramway - a kind of train that goes up the mountain. The kids and I wanted to take the aerial, and the full ticket came to 32.50 euros each. The tickets included round-trip tickets on the train, aerial gondola, museum, lunch at the cafeteria (one meal), funiculars to the Holy Cave, and Saint Joan (something?), and an audiovisual show.

We wanted to take it easy so we visited the Basilica and the museum. The Basilica was impressive, especially when you think how long ago it was built. There is a legend that a statue of a black Virgin Mary was found up in these mountains, and so the statue is displayed in the Basilica. You can walk up some stairs, go behind the altar, and see the statue. There is also an opening in front of the statue, so that it can be seen from the altar and the rest of the church. We spent some time sitting in the pews of the basilica, and then walked around. I didn’t see any candles. I wanted to light them for my parents and a certain cousin of mine. (Oh well, we’re in the old country, there will be many churches with candles.

After visiting the Basilica, we went to the museum. I thought it would be a museum that told us about Montserrat, but it was a museum with various artworks throughout the years. We enjoyed walking through it. I found the old Torah scrolls and mezuzahs to be really interesting. Too bad we couldn’t take any pictures. I would have taken them. Nick enjoyed seeing the paintings by Dali (his favorite painter), and I think Kelly enjoyed all of it, especially the statues and the huge paintings. I have to ask her what impressed her most. Everyone’s energy level was a little low, and it was hot, so we didn’t do other things up at Montserrat, like going up to the cave, or seeing the audiovisual (I would have liked that). It was a good thing that we didn’t go up to the cave. I later spoke with a couple who said that they took the funicular up to see the cave, but that after that there was a two-hour walk (so they said), and so I am glad that we did not go up there.

High: Visiting the Basilica of Montserrat & enjoying a late night stroll with Nick
Low: Still not over jet lag

1 comment:

Doris said...

Okay, thought I did this once. MJ - you know me and this computer stuff. But I'll say it again....
Nick - Don't know what business you're in but you're in the wrong business - you should be a writer! You're doing a great job on helping us capture the excitement of your trip.

Have a great time. Thanx for sharing.